Teamwork

Even though the timing of this project was a bit tricky because of the Christmas holidays, we managed to finish it in time and finalize a good product. Figma and Google Slides / Docs / Sheets as collaboration tools helped us a lot because they kept us in the track with each other’s activities and work.

Summarising our interviews in small comments and placing them on post-its in groups on affinity diagrams and sort them in common themes was a great way to prioritize the changes to be made in the app. None of us did this before, and we found it very useful for this project and in general.

André is a great person to work with, with plenty of genuine ideas that helped us a lot during this project. He is also very detailed and pedantic in everything he does, which is also a great thing because when something is done properly, it doesn’t have to be done twice.

Ethical User Research

As we had to be in contact with people in the research part of this project, we had to make sure we respected them in all aspects:

  • we had to be honest with participants in a way that we had to tell them exactly what are we working on, the feedback we want from them and in general what is expected from them. We had to make sure that they know we’re recording the sessions, and if for some reason they didn’t want to be video recorded – we had to respect that (which happened as well)
  • we had to keep our opinions and our suggestions for ourselves. No leading questions should have been used during any of the usability testing sessions, we had to let our participants say and do whatever they want, and prompt them to say without any fear what does or doesn’t make sense to them
  • we asked and collected consent from each participant we had an interview with, because this is crucial if we want to let them know what we’ll be doing with the data after it’s collected.

Personal Learnings:

Both André and I were involved in all stages during this project, starting from research, analyzing the data and then sketching, prototyping, usability testing, and both presentations. I’m happy that none of us skipped anything or felt that we’re missing something.

I have to admit that we could do more in the research phase, because the surveys didn’t go that well, and we noticed that just in the middle of the project when we actually started with the testing, and it was too late to fix it. We discovered that we didn’t have so much data which would show us what are the exact users’ goals, and we could fix that by asking more specific questions. The only thing we can do is to learn from this for our next project, where better research can shorten our design phase.

The other thing I’d like to do differently in the next project is to actually split big tasks into smaller ones, and instead of Google I’d use Trello for the project management and work in sprints.

4 - Usability Testing
Aer Lingus Guideline